…is important. We shouldn’t get carried away by media scare stories and politically motivated exaggerations. It’s important that at least some people resist the temptation to get swept away on a tide of near-hysteria about the World’s ever-changing climate. So here is a short summary of some things which have happened so far this year, to help us see things in their proper perspective:
- 3 million people in India were displaced or evacuated this year because of excessive flooding.
- more than 1 million were affected by severe flooding in North Korea.
- North Korea faces a shortfall of food supplies for 2008 which amount to about 20% of the country’s needs.
- 18 countries in Africa were hit by flooding, over a million people effected.
- 150,000 people in Uganda alone still have had no relief supplies; their needs are being serviced by two helicopters and one boat.
- 48% of the contiguous USA is currently experiencing drought conditions; in the South east of the country, 78% of the area is affected.
- World wheat stocks are expected to be at their lowest level in thirty years this December, with only 53 days supply in store. Prices hit a record high earlier this year and will probably rise again. Production on Australia, the EU and Asia were affected by adverse weather this year.
- Arctic sea ice levels fell to a level at least 23% below the previous lowest in recent times.
- Rainforest loss continues at the same pace as it has for years, with no sign of a slowdown.
- global emissions of CO2 are still rising at a rate of between 1-2% per year.
- thousands of people in China, Korea, Bangladesh and other countries have lost their lives or their livings due to extreme weather conditions.
- crude oil prices touched $90 a barrel for a short time.
- in the past year, the whole of the Arctic showed a warming trend in air temperatures; this is also a first.
On the other hand:
- the Colorado Rockies are in the World Series.
- England and South Africa will face off on Saturday night to decide which is the best Rugby team in the World .
- Uma Thurman has boobs.
- ‘An Inconvenient Truth’ allegedly isn’t a science lecture.
- it isn’t raining here.
Everything is about perspective…